It’s Monday y’all, and here we go with another week! I thought I’d start off with sharing some reasons I love starting my days at 4:00am (actually my alarm is set for 4:05 so and I usually snooze one time, just being honest).
* I feel like a bad a$$ showing up at the gym way before most people even think about waking up. This gives me a little extra power and motivation to work extra hard on my runs in the morning
* The gym is basically empty this early so I get to use any equipment I want and I don’t feel pressured to get through my workout quickly so someone else can use the machine
* The two rows of treadmills are wide open so I always get my favorite treadmill right in front of the TV on ESPN
* It’s perfectly acceptable to look like you rolled out of bed and walked into the gym – AKA running clothes don’t match, socks don’t match, hair is a little, um, messy
* When you’re done with your workout, you feel so invigorated and awake that you go into your day on a high
* Research shows that working out in the morning can help you make healthier choices throughout the day and can also rev up your metabolism early so you burn calories more effectively throughout the day. See this article.
* At the end of your workday, you get to go home and relax (or start cooking and getting into your cleaning routine, if you’re me) and feel good that you’ve already completed your workout
* You have time at the end of the day, if you want, to get in a little extra exercise. For us, we enjoy taking the dogs for a walk at night after dinner, and I also enjoy doing my Yoga for Runners videos at night too
If you’re not a morning person, just try getting up one or two mornings a week and doing some kind of exercise. There are plenty of things you can do at home to get your metabolism going that don’t require any gym equipment. Check these out (click pictures for links) – If you can’t make it to the gym early in the morning, just give these at-home circuits a try. I guarantee you’ll finish them feeling energized, happy, and ready to start your day!
My 5.5 mile run yesterday was done outside in the heat and humidity. As I continue to train for my marathon in January of next year, I’m trying to make a conscious effort to do some of my long runs outside. My race is in Florida so even though it takes place in the middle of winter, in Florida you really never know what kind of weather you’re going to get. Here’s why I’m still training outside in the dead heat of Georgia summers:
Prepping for a hot race day can help you run better in any weather. FRIDAY, JUNE 19, 2015, 3:52 PM
You made it through a winter of hard training to prepare for a late spring or early summer race. The risk? Temps soaring on race day. Fortunately, there are ways to prepare for heat, even on short notice. Full article here.
Atlanta Street Food Festival, see what had happened was…it was hot. Very hot. And very crowded. I think the entire metro Atlanta area decided to show up at the same time we did on Saturday afternoon to get our food truck on. We ended up waiting in line longer than we actually stayed at the festival which was disappointing. The one food truck we made it to was… King Kabob. I got a chicken kabob and the hubs got a steak kabob. They had GIANT pieces of meat with peppers and mushrooms on there too. They were both served over a bed of rice and a delicious white sauce. The food was pretty delicious, we were not disappointed.
We also managed to made a stop at King of Pops. The cold popsicle was exactly what we needed to cool off in the hot sun! Confession – I had two popsicles. The first one I got was the Orange Cream which was…amazing. Then on the way out of the festival, Blondie and I stopped and got a Chocolate Sea Salt one, my favorite. A few cute pics from the festival of me and the hubs and Blondie and her hubs! R&M came with us too, but we got separated from them toward the end so I didn’t get any cute pics of them (sad face). I’m so grateful for sweet friends who will venture to the city with me, even though they hate it!
We went to World of Beer after the festival and the boys were satisfied. If you live in Atlanta and haven’t been, definitely check it out. There are SO MANY BEERS to choose from…Blondie got this flight of local beers! Needless to say, good times were had by all. Today is an active recovery day, so I have some Yoga for Runners and a long walk with the pups tonight! I’ll also squeeze in some strength training in the AM!
Do you enjoy working out at home or in the gym better?
Did anyone else go to the Atlanta Street Food Festival? Any favorite trucks?